Author: (Rand McNally)
Recipe type: Biscuits
Traditional biscuits baked by anxious wives and mothers during World War I, packed in food parcels, and sent to the Australian soldiers in the trenches.
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ¾ cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 125g (4oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon water
- Mix oats, flour, sugar and coconut together.
- Melt syrup and butter together.
- Mix soda with boiling water and add to melted butter and syrup.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Place 1 tablespoonfuls of mixture on greased tray (allow room for spreading).
- Loosen while warm, cool on trays.