- 1 bunch of small beets
- 1 large onion, quartered but not peeled
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place beets and onion pieces in a roasting pan. Pour ½ cup of water into the pan. Drizzle the vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt. Roast until beets are tender. Approximately 40 to 60 minutes.
- Bundle thyme and peppercorns in a small square of cheesecloth and tie it. Pour the broth into a saucepan and add the herb bundle. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- When the vegetables are tender remove from oven. Remove the skins off of the vegetables once they have cooled. Using a blender puree the vegetables in small batches, adding the 2 cups of broth (herb bundle removed) little by little to help puree the vegetables.