- 1 tbsp oil or clarified butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (oh, go ahead: add more)
- 1 clove garlic, minced (ditto)
- 2 tsp each: ground cumin, ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cayenne (or more)
- 1 lb carrots, sliced
- 4 cups stock (beef, chicken, or veggie)
- ¼ cup light cream (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley or coriander
- In large heavy saucepan, heat oil; saute onion and garlic until transparent. Push onion-garlic mixture to one side and add cumin, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne to other side. Increase heat slightly and stir-fry spices for 2 to 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Stir in carrots until coated with spice mixture. Pour in stock and mix well; simmer, covered, over low heat until carrots are tender, about 40 minutes. Transfer mixture to blender or food processor and puree.
- Return puree to saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and stir in cream: DO NOT BOIL.
- Ladle into warm bowls and garnish.
- *NB: If you are not thickening with cream at the end, you might want either to increase the number of carrots — and maybe onions — that you use or to cut back on the stock.