- 1 250 g of Quark (that is the type of cottage cheese that is not crumbly and not very fat. It's consistency is a little like hummus i.e.mashed chickpeas. Ricotta can be used but it's not exactly like Quark.)
- 250 g of butter
- 4 - 6 eggs ( I always used 6)
- 1 pack of Dr Oetker Original Vanilla Sugar. Many supermarkets carry it. German delicatessen stores would most likely have it. (Normal vanilla extract is not really a good substitute but if you must use it, use very little.)2 - 3 tablespoons of Mondamin (another German product). Ordinary corn starch is a good substitute.
- 1 pack of Dr Oetker Baking Powder, or about 1 teaspoon of the baking powder you have at home. (I use a "generous", i.e. not quite heaping, teaspoon of the Magic Baking Powder brand when I don't have Dr Oetker's.)
- Mix all the ingredients, except for the Quark with a handheld electric beater on fairly slow speed. Do NOT use a blender as it will liquefy the ingredients. Then add the Quark and finally the baking powder.
- You absolutely need a baking tin with a removable bottom. (Widely available but most definitely in some German delicatessen stores.)
- Put the ingredients in the tin and then into the preheated oven of about 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- It takes about an hour to an hour and a half.
- Don't open the oven door for at least an hour.
- The cake is likely to rise way above the top of the baking tin. (It depends a little on how much baking powder you used and its strength.)
- When the cake is done it will have a lightly to medium, brown colour on the top. Stick a thin skewer or something like this in it. If it comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Leave it inside the oven after switching it off with the door just slightly ajar (8 to 10 inches). It will settle down and you might want to open the clamp of the baking tin after 15 or 20 minutes so that the cake can settle down inside the baking tin. Almost close the door again to prolong the cooling down process.
- After it has cooled down resist the temptation to eat some right away. You will enjoy it much more after it has been inside the fridge for a night.