Chinese egg tarts
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 cups water (500ml)
- 8 Eggs
- ⅔ cup Evaporated Milk (160ml)
- ½ tsp. Vanilla (3ml) or more depending on your taste
- A:Mix sugar and water together and heat in the microwave until it boils- wait for it to cool a bit and take it out of the microwave. Set it in the fridge until it is no longer warm.
- B: Mix eggs + evaporated milk + vanilla+ boiled sugar syrup
- C: Let it sit until all of the little bubbles are gone, or remove them yourself with a spoon
- D: Pour tart shells about ¾ full and bake at 375 for 20 minutes
- This recipe makes about 50 or 60 tarts but I have cut it in half and filled the shells a little fuller than the recipe says to and it worked fine. My family used to have baked custard which I hated because it was rubbery, the texture of these tarts is so light and airy because of the use of water and sugar instead of milk. I served them with fresh blackberries at a luncheon and the pale yellow tarts next to the purple black berries looked as good as it tasted.