Recipe type: soup
- see below
- In a large pan, dice and fry a little salt pork until all you have left are crunchy brown salty bits. Pour off most of the fat.
- Toss some chopped new onions in the rest of the fat until they're soft.
- Meanwhile, boil new potatoes - really small ones, the size of walnuts. Add a couple of bay leaves to the cooking water if you like.
- Boil shelled peas until they're almost done.
- Steam some green and yellow beans over the peas for a couple of minutes, till they're just starting to cook.
- Pour equal parts of cream, and the potato and pea water mixed together, (There shouldn't be more than a cup of cream and cooking water each, not all of the veggie water!) into the onions/pork pan. Boil hard until it starts to thicken. Throw in the potatoes, peas and beans. Taste for seasoning; add black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg.
- Eat. Moan occasionally. If you feel the need of anything else, mussels in white wine and corn on the cob will work