- 500 gms of chicken thighs, diced and poached/steamed in 200 gms of water.
- 1 small package of chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 large can of cream corn
- 1 cup of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 can of condensed cream of onion or mushroom or tomato soup
- one package of small whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 2 cup of sliced sweet green and red peppers
- 3 cups of shredded sharp cheddar or Monterey Jack
- In a blender, combine cream corn, canned soup and poaching water from chicken. Lightly oil the bottom of a lasagna-type pan or a deep casserole.
- Pour ¼ of the 'sauce' from the blender into the bottom of the baking dish and layer ½ spinach, then ⅓ of the chicken. Top with ⅓ of onions, sweet peppers, corn and ¼ of shredded cheese. Put pieces of tortilla ripped to fit on top of that, no thicker than you would for lasagna noodles. Another ¼ sauce, then ⅓ chicken, ⅓ of onions, sweet peppers, corn and ¼ of shredded cheese. Again, lay pieces of tortilla. Another ¼ sauce, the rest of the spinach, chicken, onions, sweet peppers, corn and ¼ of shredded cheese. Again, lay pieces of tortilla and top with the last of the sauce and cheese. Bake covered at 350 for an hour, then uncover and raise heat to 400 for another 15 minutes. Remove from oven, let sit for 15 minutes. Serve with a green salad.
- If baking for a group of people who have different spiciness preferences, offer some hot green and red salsa on the side. But if everyone likes heat and spiciness, add some chipotle or mole-style paste to the blender to taste.