Middle Eastern Yogurt with Spinach and Parsley
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup minced parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound fresh spinach
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and sautÃ© until soft. Add the garlic and stir for fifteen seconds. Add the parsley and sautÃ© for another fifteen seconds. Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool in the skillet.
- Wash the spinach and place in a pot with only the water clinging to its leaves. Sprinkle with one teaspoon salt and one teaspoon sugar. Cook for about five minutes, until wilted and dark green.
- Drain and rinse under cold water. Squeeze until fairly dry and then mince finely.
- Put the yogurt in a bowl and beat lightly until smooth. Add all the ingredients in the skillet, the spinach, and the freshly ground pepper. Mix well. Serve chilled or at room temperature.