Silver Palate Gingerbread (skdadl)
- 1⅔ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1¼ tsps baking soda
- 1½ tsps ground ginger
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- ½ cup boiling water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan.
- Sift dry ingredients together into a mixing bowl. Add egg, sugar, and molasses. Mix well.
- Pour boiling water and the oil over mixture. Stir thoroughly until smooth.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Set on the middle rack of oven and bake 35 to 40 minutes, or until top springs back when touched and the edges have pulled away slightly from the sides of the pan.
- The Silver Palate people glaze the cake at this point (while still hot) with a lemon glaze (2/3 cup confectioner’s sugar plus 3 tbsps lemon juice, mixed together, not cooked). I tried that once, the first time I made the cake, but I did not like it. It seemed to me that the lemon was fighting the ginger, and I wanted the ginger all on its own. I much prefer to serve squares of this cake split open, and with nice big dollops of whipped cream. Yum.